This mixed greens and lentil salad recipe is easy, tasty, and has some super healthy ingredients. Like these:
- Mixed greens: Dark, leafy greens are pound-for-pound the healthiest foods on the planet. They’re packed with disease-fighting compounds, can help protect your muscles from damage during a hard workout, and can even help prevent cancer.
- Lentils: Lentils are loaded with soluble fiber, which can help you keep your cholesterol levels in check. And, they’re one of the best sources of the B vitamin folate. Research suggests that eating more legumes likes lentils can also help improve your health if you have diabetes.
- Olive oil: Research has shown that a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil can help lower your risk of heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Lemon juice: Lemons are high in vitamin C and may help lower your risk of stroke.
- Parsley: Parsley contains a compound that can stop certain breast cancer tumor cells from multiplying and growing.
- Onions: Onions have a variety of health benefits and can even help ward off certain types of cancer.
- Pepitas: Pepitas, also known as pumpkin seeds, contain protein, fiber, and good fats. And they add an awesome crunchy texture to any salad.
There are a couple keys to making this recipe a success though.
First, pick up a high quality extra virgin olive oil. Why extra virgin? Because it comes from the first “press” of the grapes, which means a better flavor with less impurities and acidity. And, it’s less processed, which is always a good thing in my book.
Second, use fresh parsley. Fresh herbs make a huge difference.
Finally, use organic mixed greens. Yes, it’ll cost you a couple dollars more. But the benefits are worth it.
Here’s the recipe for my Lentil Salad with Mixed Greens. Let me know what you think.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|5 min||45 min||2|
Ingredients: Mixed Greens and Lentil Salad Recipe
- 4 cups organic mixed greens
- 1/4 cup brown lentils
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
1. Simmer the lentils in a covered pan for 45 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
2. Dice the onion and chop the parsley.
3. Combine mixed greens, drained lentils, onion, olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, pepitas, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir together.
251 calories, 17 g fat, 19 g carbs (8.5 g fiber), 9.5 g protein, 316 mg sodium