This brown rice recipe is one of my favorite healthy side dishes. Here are a few reasons why:
- It’s really simple: just 6 ingredients total.
- It’s healthy: only 111 calories per serving.
- It’s delicious: you get a rich, buttery flavor.
There are a couple keys to making this recipe a success though. First, use brown rice over white rice. That’s because there’s a big difference between whole grains and refined grains.
Second, use real butter. I like Organic Valley Whipped Sweet Cream because it’s a little lower in calories. But don’t buy that fake butter or margarine crap. Use the real stuff. It’s better for you, and it tastes better.
Third, use fresh dill. Fresh herbs make a world of difference, especially in this brown rice recipe.
And finally, use both the juice from the lemon and the zest. Use a zester, grater, or small knife to scrape off the yellow “zest”. It adds a fantastic lemony flavor to the dish.
So give my healthy brown rice recipe a whirl, and let me know if you like it!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|5 min||50 min||2|
Ingredients: Healthy Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 lemon
- 2 T Organic Valley Whipped Butter
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice according to the instructions (I simmered mine in a covered pot for 45 minutes). Drain rice and rinse with cold water.
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan and add juice and zest from half the lemon along with salt and pepper.
3. Add the rice and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse and chop the dill and add to pan. Mix thoroughly and serve.
111 calories, 6.5 g fat, 13 g carbs (2 g fiber), 1.5 g protein, 283 mg sodium