Let’s look at a few examples, shall we?
- The Cheeseburger Sliders appetizer has 1,270 calories, 81 grams of fat, and a day’s worth of sodium …
- What about the Sizzling Smokehouse Chicken Stack? This innocent sounding dish has 1,170 calories, 59 grams of fat, and a whopping 3,030 grams of sodium …
- But that’s nothing compared to the New England Fish & Chips, which weighs in at a hefty 1,930 calories, 138 grams of fat, and 3,180 grams of sodium.
Applebees offers the following nutrition advice on its’ website for eating healthier:
-Ask for reduced fat dressing, if available.
-Ask for dressings and sauces to be served on the side.
-Substitute a side salad, steamed vegetables or fresh fruit in place of mashed potatoes, fries or onion rings.
-Substitute grilled chicken or shrimp in place of fried chicken or shrimp.
-Select the half portion of any of our Signature Salads.
Like most large restaurants, you can find Applebees nutrition facts on its’ website. I did a quick count and found 66 items on the Applebees menu with over 1,000 calories. 66, are you kidding me?! That’s disgusting and irresponsible, if you ask me.
Thankfully, new legislation requires restaurants like this to post calorie content now. In the past, people had no idea what they were eating. Now at least there’s some transparency. So next time you think, “Hey, those Chili Cheese Nachos sound pretty good,” you’ll know what you’re getting yourself into: nearly a day’s worth of calories (1620) and nearly two day’s worth of saturated fat (37 g) and sodium (3,920 mg).
To me, those nachos don’t taste damn near good enough to justify that heart-attack-waiting-to-happen. But I digress, let’s move on and discuss how you can actually “Eat Good in the Neighborhood”.
Applebees Nutrition Facts: Healthy Menu Options
Despite the abundance of high-calorie dishes, Applebees has made some progress in recent years. Recently they started offering Under 550 Calories and Weight Watchers-endorsed items on their menu. Their menu still has some really unhealthy choices that are loaded with calories, carbs, fat, and sodium, but if you stick to the items below you’ll be in good shape.
• Asiago Peppercorn Steak: 380 calories, 25 g carbs, 14 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 1520 mg sodium
• Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp: 500 calories, 31 g carbs, 21 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 2440 mg sodium
• Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos: 470 calories, 30 g carbs, 16 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 1820 mg sodium
• Sizzling Chili Lime Chicken: 470 calories, 56 g carbs, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 1970 mg sodium
• Weight Watchers Cabernet Mushroom Sirloin: 460 calories, 39 g carbs, 15 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 1980 mg sodium
• Weight Watchers Creamy Parmesan Chicken: 470 calories, 35 g carbs, 13 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 1510 mg sodium
• Weight Watchers Grilled Jalapeno-Lime Shrimp: 300 calories, 43 g carbs, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2950 mg sodium
Bottom Line: When eating at Applebees, stick to the Under 550 Calories and Weight Watchers menu items from the list above. They’re still too high in sodium, but they’re your best bet on a very unhealthy menu overall.